OverviewManufactured in the US, 480V-MA is a rotary phase converter that changes a 230 or 460 volt, 1-phase service to an equivalent 3-phase output. It will efficiently operate any 3-phase equipment from an existing 1-phase supply and will provide years of trouble-free service. The output of the 480V-MA is just like a utility 3-phase. It can power any combination of motors, heaters, rectifiers, and variable sped drives. Any machine operating on a 480V-MA phase converter will deliver its full rated nameplate output and will perform identically as if connected to utility 3-phase, except at a fraction of the cost of a new service. The 480V-MA phase converter is designed with the highest capacity and the most overload capability in the industry. All converters are available with a wide range of optional built-in controls. The output of the 480V-MA phase converter is a real 3-phase 3-wire delta. Each of the phase voltages is a true sine wave separated by 120 degrees and will deliver closely balanced currents to the load equipment. The stored energy of the unique patented construction enables it to ride through short-term line voltage transient including over-voltage spikes and the more common under-voltage sags. Installation of the 480V-MA is made easy with it not having to be bolted down and can be quickly connected to product 3-phase in just a few hours. The flexibility of the 480V-MA is also empowered by the optional accessories, including automatic controls, primary disconnect switch and fuses, outdoor weatherproof enclosures, reduced in-rush current starting, voltage regulation for CNC machines, lightning & surge protection, transformers for special output voltages, and buck-boost. Key features of the 480V-MA:
- Outdoor weatherproof enclosures
- Quietest converter
- Least cost alternative
480V-SD-60 480V-MA Features
1. 480V-SD-60 Automatic ControlsAccessory that adds built-in fuses, magnetic starter, terminal blocks, and time delay relay to allow converter to be energized on demand by the load controller in unattended applications.
2. 480V-SD-60 Primary Disconnect Switch and FusesAccessory that adds built-in switch, fuses and terminal blocks to speed installation and provide a single point of on-off converter control.
3. 480V-SD-60 Outdoor Weatherproof EnclosuresAccessory that adds padmounted fiberglass enclosure for outdoor service. Ore-wired ventilating fans and provision padlocking.
Other 480V-SD-60 480V-MA Features
1. Input Ratings
- Supply Voltage
- 208 V
- 230 V
- 460 V
- 1 - 100 HP single units, may be paralleled up to 500 HP
2. Output Ratings
- Output Power
- Equals 3-phase equivalent of 1-phase input voltage
- Regulation Percent
- 2 - 5% at full load output
- Harmonic Content
- Power Factor
- .95 or greater at full load
- Operating Efficiency
- >95% at full load
- Operating Reliability
- MTBF 50,000 hours
3. Application Features
- Low Maintenance
- Only need to occasionally use lubricant and do and overall inspection
- Low Cost
- Far less expensive than alternatives
- Dual Voltage
- 230/460 on most ratings, at no charge
4. Maintenance & Diagnostics
- Low Maintenance
- Recommended maintenance time chart
- Occasional lubrication and overall inspection are the only required maintenance procedures.
- Phasemaster converter bearings are pre-packed with a heat, moisture, and rust resisting polyurea based lubricant rated to operate in the temperature range of -35 to +350ºF. This initial charge plus a generous additional amount placed in the bearing housing during manufacturing is normally enough to last the lifetime of the bearing. Converters exposed to severe operating conditions of high heat, moisture, dirt or limited ventilation require periodic lubrication. To grease the bearings in a smaller converter not having grease fittings, remove the end-bells and remove the excess grease. Replace it with a generous supply of a compatible lubricant such as MOBIL Polyrex EM. To lubricate a larger converter, inject a small amount of grease slowly into the grease fittings. Do not use high-pressure equipment. Take care not to saturate the windings with grease over an extended time. Remember, this grease goes somewhere when it leaves the bearing. Lithium based lubricants are incompatible and may cause bearing failure.
- Inspect the converter periodically to verify the ventilation slots are clear. In dusty or dirty environments, remove the end-bells and clean the windings of excess grease, dust and debris.